recruitment specialising in GP jobs across Australia
Follow us: Facebook LinkedIn
Search Jobs:


Most of our international clients are coming from UK, Ireland, Canada and New Zealand. We have developed information specifically for GPs from these countries.

Here are the most commonly asked questions we receive about working in Australia as a doctor. If you have any questions we have not addressed here, please contact us or give us a call on 1300 767 473.

How much will it cost me to find a job with Aster Medical?

Our recruitment services to doctors are absolutely free.

Why work with a professional recruitment agency?

Although it is entirely possible to ‘do-it-yourself’, it is a very frustrating and time consuming process unless support is at hand. Have a look at our why to use a professional recruiter page to find out about the benefits of working with Aster Medical.

Why does Australia need overseas trained doctors?

In Australia, as in most OECD countries, the demand for health services is increasing every day. Australia’s ongoing shortage of doctors and allied health professionals is especially severe in outer metropolitan, regional and rural areas. To address this situation, the Australian government has created special programs which allow employers to recruit International Medical Graduates (IMGs) into jobs in districts of workforce shortage.

How can I obtain an Australian visa?

Due to skills shortage in the Australian health industry, the Australian Government has set up programs that enable Australian employers to contract skilled migrants.

Once Aster Medical has found you a suitable employer, we can start contacting the various institutions responsible for assessing your medical skillls, registering you with the appropriate state or territory and granting you a visa.

In order to be granted a work visa in Australia, you must meet certain criteria set by the Australian Department of Immigration (DIAC). For further information, please visit the DIAC website or contact us.

If English is not my native language, do I need to sit an English test?

Yes. It is a requirement that you successfully complete an English language proficiency test. You must achieve a minimum score of 7 in each of the 4 components of the academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The results of your test are only valid for two years. If you have any concerns about the testing process, don’t hesitate to contact us and ask for advice.

Another English test approved by the AMC is the Occupational English Test (OET) where you need to achieve a score of B in each module.

Is there an age limit for healthcare workers coming to work temporarily in Australia?

No. As long as your qualifications meet the required criteria for the position you wish to apply for, you will be eligible to work in Australia on a temporary basis, regardless of age.

How long can I work for?

Most of the vacancies are for periods of 2 or 3 years initially. In many cases, the medical job contracts are extended for further terms. We are able to organise longer placements if required.

How long is the whole process from receiving a job offer until actually starting to work?

The medical registration and immigration process can take anywhere from 4 months to 1 year. It depends on the country where you obtained your primary medical degree and your specialist training as well as on how accurate and efficient you are in submitting all information required to complete your registration and immigration paperwork.

What is the pay like in Australia?

In Australia, General Practice as a profession pays well.  The annual income a GP can expect to earn ranges between AUD $200,000-$300,000. This number can increase depending on the number of extra hours or after hours work performed.

Other factors that can have an impact on your wage are: area of practice, type of work undertaken, private or bulk billing, hospital work and whether you are a practice owner, employee or contractor.

For more information on this topic, please download our free ebook.

Doctors’ Salaries Australia

Who pays for my medical registration, immigration charges and relocation?

You are responsible for the payment of your registration fees and visa charges.
Some GP practices provide assistance to doctors with their relocation expenses. This depends on the policies of the individual practice. Ask your Aster Medical consultant what provisions are available once you have applied for a position.

Do I need private health insurance while I am working in Australia?

We strongly encourage you to take out private cover, as many employers will not consider you unless you have it. Even though Australia has reciprocal agreements with several European countries (see Medicare for further details), there are exemptions. There are also significant taxation incentives to taking out private health insurance. To review the specific policies for visitors to Australia, you can look at the following links:

What are schools like in Australia and will I be able to enrol my children at any point in the school year?

The Australian school system is very similar to that in European countries. Children begin school at the age of 5 and the Australian system is well resourced and of a high standard. There is much less pressure put on children here than in the UK with the emphasis being on producing, active and resourceful lifelong learning rather than attaining a specified standard.

Public schools must enrol any child who lives in their catchment area. If you have children please let us know – we will be able to help you find suitable accommodation and schooling.

Contact Us Today

Write the code: